Saturday, August 18, 2007

In Search..

A couple of days ago one of my friend came to me and said ” You know what someone tried to commit suicide”. My reaction was at best negative . “What ?? How can someone do this?? Your parents pay up so much so that you get the best of the education and this is what you do of it. I think the selection panel doesn’t know anything to shortlist such candidates and put them in a place like this. How can a person be emotionally so weak as to take such a step??”. Those were some of the first few things i heard myself saying after i got to know of it. I then questioned my friend about why the person took such a drastic step. The reason as i came to know was pressure of unable to cope with studies coupled with inferiority complex ( God knows what inferiority complex a person can have at such a place ). Well that seemed to be a contradiction to me( Many of my friends would agree to this and they definitely know the reason as well ).The day passed and the incident took the backseat in my mind and i went about my work. While going to one of my classes today i suddenly overheard two friends of mine. The snapshots of the conversation go as follows.
Friend 1 : I think we should go and encourage her.
Friend 2 : Yes we should. I heard her mom is not here yet to see her.
Friend 1 : I would disown my mom if she did anything like this when something happens to me.
Friend 2 : I think her dad is here for sometime.
Friend 1 : Sometime ??? Thats ridiculous . From when did parents start behaving like this ???
Friend 2 : Anyways i think we should go and visit her, she would feel better if we go.

By this time i was intently listening to the conversation and had more or less joined it. I said i would be glad if anyone would take me along when they would go to visit her( the case being i did not know the concerned person as she was a junior ). As soon as classes got over i decided to make a move. I thought I would call along my friends but it seemed they were busy. I had to make this journey alone . I reached the ICU and went inside wondering where to look for the concerned person. There was only 1 bed that was occupied which spared me the trouble of asking people. As i reached the bed i discovered that i was looking into an innocent face. She even spoke like a kid flashing her sweet smile while talking. She seemed confident enough to me. Anyways i decided to give my best shot to allay all her fears about the course. I tried my best to give her the hope and encouragement that i could .While heading back towards my college i was still thinking “What is that that made her take such a drastic step ?. Life is not easy and we all know that and if we are bogged down by such small hurdles then what about the bigger challenges in life. Yes at times we are faced with choices that are hard to make but that does not mean that we give up our attempts to solve the problem. Does this not show the inclination towards negative thinking that this girl has ?? Why is it that we always so quickly take to negative things and fail to see the positive aspects of a situation ?? Does it call for a total change in the education system that is followed in our country ?? Where do you learn how to be positive ??? Can these things be thought ??? Can attitude be changed ??? If yes how???”

I cannot revert what has happened but am in search of answers to these question which may possibly give me the reason as to why did someone have to do what was done .

No comments: